What is Computer Crime
As the world continues to become increasingly more computerized and digital, people find themselves in situations they don’t fully understand – especially from a legal standpoint.
Lawmakers are aggressive about keeping up with technology and sometimes, computer crime laws end up affecting people who have done nothing more than make a mistake.
Making matters worse, a conviction of computer crime can result in significant fines and even a prison sentence. This is why it’s so important to contact a criminal defense attorney if you are accused of a computer crime, even if you know you did nothing wrong.
If you’ve been accused of any of the following, you need the guidance and support of an experienced computer crimes attorney:
- Identity theft
- Denial of service attacks
- Credit card fraud
- Violation of pornography laws
Why Do You Need a Defense Attorney Who Understands Computer Crimes?
How can a defense attorney help you if you’re accused of any of the above?
- Experienced defense attorneys are able to negotiate with prosecutors. This can mean reduced charges and less severe sentence.
- Criminal attorneys can provide a much-needed glimpse into reality. It’s easy to get so caught up in your perspective of the case that you’ll need someone to explain the likely outcome you’re facing.
- Defense attorneys have a better shot at collecting witness testimony. People are more likely to talk to defense attorneys or investigators because there is less to fear. You might know you’re innocent, but a witness might not see you that way.
- Defense attorneys might be able to work with the justice system to create a sentence customized to your needs. This reduces the risk you’ll face further legal action in the future.