What Can You Do If Your Ex Falsely Accuses You of Criminal Activity?

David Lindsey, Attorney at Law
false accusations

Has your ex made false allegations against you?

It’s common for tensions to run high during a divorce. Many couples argue and behave in underhanded ways to deal with the difficulty they’re having with the end of their relationship. It’s stressful and unfortunate, but eventually, things calm down and ex-spouses move on.

But unfortunately, in some cases, hard feelings lead to false criminal accusations. A former spouse bitter about their situation might lash out and accuse their significant other of any number of crimes, including domestic abuse or neglect or financial crimes. Their goal might also be to discredit their partner to curry favor from the divorce court.

Regardless of why your former spouse is lashing out against you, it’s important to seek legal support. What should you do if your ex falsely accuses you of doing something illegal?

Defend Yourself

It’s tempting to not take your ex seriously when they say something untrue about you. Chances are you’ve heard a few things from them as your relationship was breaking down that revealed their thoughts and feelings.

But if they’re taking their accusations to the court, your situation has risen to a different level of concern. The best thing you can do is deal with the accusations directly, regardless of whether they are true or not. Even if there is some truth to the accusation, you need to clearly explain the situation and make sure the court knows your version of the event in question.

This doesn’t mean to get into an argument with your ex. Do not exacerbate the situation or “take the bait” they might be offering. You can ignore their words as they say them, but you can’t ignore the overall situation, especially if they’ve involved law enforcement or the court.

You and your attorney can discuss the specifics of the situation and decide how to proceed. The important thing to know is that you shouldn’t ignore the accusations and assume nothing will come of them if the court is involved.

Gather Evidence and Build Your Defense

If there is anything that can prove your accusations wrong – documents, emails or texts, witnesses, etc. – you’ll want to share that information with your attorney. The more tools you use to show that your ex is lying the stronger your defense.

This is true even if there is a bit of truth to the accusations. Acknowledge the truthful aspects of the accusations, but show proof that the overall accusation is untruthful.

You don’t want to defend against a lie with another lie. Even if some part of the accusation shows you in a poor light, you’re better off being honest about the situation.

Trust Your Attorney If Your Ex Has Made False Allegations

An experienced attorney is your greatest asset during a divorce. This is even more so the case if your spouse has levied criminal accusations against you. Depending on the extent of the accusations and whether law enforcement is involved, you might need to bring a criminal attorney onto your team, as well.

Every situation is unique. If your ex has no evidence to support their claims against you, it might be easy to refute their accusation and move on. However, these situations tend to be personal and complicated. You must comply with court orders, even if they are based on false allegations. Your attorney can help you sort through the details of your situation and determine the best way to respond.

If your spouse has made false criminal allegations against you, David Lindsey can help. For more information or to schedule a consultation, contact David to learn more.

Our Location

Downtown Denver Office Also Available

7887 E Belleview Ave

Greenwood Village, CO 80111

Get in Touch

Fill out the contact form or call us at (303) 228-2270 to schedule your free 30-minute consultation.
  • Phone Icon Free 30-Minute Consultation
  • Availability Icon Available 24/7
  • No Fee Icon Messages From New Clients Returned Promptly

Leave Us a Message